Friday, January 15, 2016

Sicky

I've been a little under the weather these past few days. Not at death's door, or anything, but low energy and sniffly and coughing and a little dizzy, etc.
So on to the back burner go the big projects: painting The Youngest's bedroom, laundry, cooking, and in their place come reading and knitting. 
I finished the book club selection (probably the first one in six to eight months) Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I really enjoyed it. Lots of interesting characters and surprising twists in the story of a marriage.
This morning I revisited Nick Hornby's Songbook, which is a collection of his favorite songs (at least his favorite songs of the early 2000's when he wrote it). Man, can he write. I made up a spotify playlist of the songs in the book, and listened along. Perhaps because I am feeling gross, or because reading about it made me look deeper at its beauty, or just because I have always loved it, I sat in our sun room, knitting away, listening to You Had Time by ani difranco and bawled like a baby.

 What was I knitting, you ask? Well, The Youngest's winter hat is a hand-me-down from a few years ago, and after a few washes is it just too small. Since she has a new scarf, I thought she should have a matching hat. I asked if she wanted this one to be a cat hat (like the old one) or a rabbit hat. Rabbit was her immediate response, probably due to her recent discovery of loony tunes. She asked for green eyes and black eyelashes, and I got to work.
I used Cascade 220 chunky for the white and Blue Sky Alpaca cotton for the pink. 
It should keep her tiny ears warm for the rest of the winter. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better.
    I've been tempted to pick up Fates and Furies.
    That bunny hat is so cute. Almost as cute as the girl wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. I guess it's that time of year for germs to spread. My youngest daughter fell asleep on the sofa this evening. She has a cold, earache and a temperature. I gave her some painkiller and once that kicked in she was fast asleep.

    Love the hat, so cute. And beautifully modelled too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon! Although your prescription for recovery sounds pretty good to me and what s sweet hat, I love the ears!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon!

    That bunny hat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete