Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hi

It's been a while.
I have been quite busy.
Since school ended I have decided to take on the project of organizing the basement.
I have almost finished one quarter of the overhaul.
The southeast corner is my new crafting space, and it's coming along.
Longtime readers may remember the bunk bed experiment we tried about 18 months ago.
This weekend I built a sewing/laundry table from the remains of said bunk bed.
You can still see the decorations in crayon on the leg there that the Elder Hug-a-Bug drew when it was still her bed.
I also got a new shelf, and sorted through my fabric stash.
Those 4 bins on the right there are full of scraps, color-coded scraps, and the shelf cubbies on the left have fabric that can actually be used for clothing. I also weeded out 2 grocery bags full of fabric to donate to the Goodwill. All of this stuff was already in the basement in bins and bags and more bins, along with this terrifying pile of knitting WIPs.
I think there are 15 sweaters for myself or the children here.

The remainder of my crafty stuff is still in my bedroom, and I hope to have it all consolidated soon.

In the spirit of reorganizing I went through my kitchen cabinet yesterday, pulled everything out, cleaned the shelves, and got rid of all the duplicate spices.this is also a little terrifying.
Does a person really need 3 jars of cinnamon? or 2 jars of paprika? or 2 jars of powdered ginger?
No.
The up side is that my garbage smelled amazing, and so did my dish-doing.

Also I got these keen spice jars at a local cooking store, and now my spices are looking fine.

The weather here has been pretty wretched lately. It's been easily a week since we had a dry day, if you don't count today, (thus the cleaning frenzy) but it's positively summer-like out there today, and we made the most of it.I think we need to try this next time
I'll be out of town this coming week, so it'll be a long time again until I post, thank you all for your patience.
Talk to you then,
Jess

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! I have the same shelves in my craft room.

    Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone I know has these shelves in their craft room, or covets them. I certainly did my share of coveting my neighbor's craft shelf before I got these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am jealous of your basement -- it looks so clean & modern compared to my dungeon! have a wonderful trip!

    (don't ask me about my spice cabinet, ok?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely organised! I love storage. Shelves, boxes, baskets...love it all! I also love the fact you have a basement. All Americans seem to have a basement and i'm very jelous. Only old, probably Victorian houses have them over here and i don't know anyone with a basement.

    X X

    ReplyDelete