Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Yarn Along

I keep having these lapses between my Yarn Along posts!
Mostly because I am really sleepy on Tuesday evenings and really busy Wednesdays.
I have been doing a lot of reading. The knitting is coming along at a pretty slow pace for me, but that could be due to my semi-serious online scrabble addiction.
This is the Chickadee Sweater by Ysolda Teague from her book Little Red in the City.
For the books, last week I finished The Last Symbol by Dan Brown and The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.
Two very different books, but both worth a read.
The Lost Symbol was all Dan Brown. Very fast paced, lots of racing around between famous monuments and super-cool word and number puzzles.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret was simply lovely.
I had seen it recommended on another blog for kids 9-10 and I read it through to make sure it was appropriate for the 7 and 5 year old children in my house.
The story is surprising and beautiful, the characters were fully developed and there was no silly romance or ridiculous plot device (save the mechanical man)
I finished the book in a day (there are admittedly many many illustrations as it's a graphic novel, so it's really not as long as it looks) and I couldn't wait to start it again aloud with the kids.
I see that Hugo Cabret is now a movie set to come out at Thanksgiving.
I don't have high hopes.
I know that movie trailers are made to draw in audience who might not be attracted to a story, but this one turns me off.
I am still reading Team of Rivals, and it's pretty good too, though very dense..
Head over to Ginny's and see more yarn and book excitement!

13 comments:

  1. i LOVE the sweater- really love it :) I am dying to do something in colourwork- but I have yet to find the perfect pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sweater, I have always wanted to make patterns like that, but still have not deer.
    Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chickadee!! That sweater is the reason I purchased Little Red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jess you always knit the most amazing things!! I just love the pattern in the wool for this sweater. so pretty :) I must check out the book for my two oldest children to. Sounds really interesting :) Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Chickadee sweater. I considered making it, but I've never tried colourwork so I went with Cria instead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous pattern. Wow, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my oldest son read the Hugo Cabret book a few years ago, so I think you're right on with the recommended age group & I think he did like it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sweater! I was trying to talk my LYS into getting Little Red in the shop last week... will have to see if they decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a 20 year old peering over my shoulder right now telling me that you must be a nice person to be knitting someone that jumper (she has been trying to persuade me to knit her a nordic sweater for ages but I have such a queue right now!).
    Lovely. I really need to get that Dan Brown book too, I've been saying that since it came out!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becks, you can tell the 20-year-old that I'm not really that nice, the sweater is for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books are almost always better than the movie. So much fun to be excited about reading a book with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete