Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sacred Voice

I sing with a small a capella group called Sacred Voice.
I joined last year and really enjoy the people and the singing.

We have had a couple of years full of ups and downs.
Last year one of our members had three surgeries.
There have been three babies born to members over the last 9 or 10 months.

Two of our number chose not to return this year.
Our artistic director, who was half of our tenor section, left after the rehearsals had been going for a couple of months and before all of the music had been chosen for the year.
Luckily we were able to find a fantastic tenor and were able to continue with the season.

All of this flux has brought us closer as a group and ultimately it helps the music-making.
This is the closest-knit group I have been a part of since college and it fills a need in my life.

Tomorrow is our first concert of the year and I am a little worried.

First of all, I have to buy new black pants.

Second, I have a cold.

Now, I was a vocal music major in college and I love singing.
It is one of a few effortlessly joyful things in my life.
However, sometimes I wish I could have been good at something that didn't depend so heavily on my health - like science.

Every winter I get this cold, and I feel run-down and my voice gets tired, just like everyone, but I feel so stressed when it comes to concert time.

The Sacred Voice is an 8 voice group.
When anyone is sick it impacts everyone.

I am sucking down the cold-eaze and ricolas and hopefully I will feel well enough tomorrow to truely contribute.

Thirdly, we are all wondering if we can pull it off when we have had such a turbulent time.

We had our final run-through on Monday and I'd say we were 90% ready.
That's not too bad, but I think we would all feel better if it were closer to 95%.

I'll give you the update on Monday.

I updated the fifth lamp look. What do you think?

Have a happy Saturday.
Here in Saint Paul the weather should be terrific!
Jess

2 comments:

  1. Jess, is there anything you do not do?! Amazing. I would love to hear you sing, best of luck in your concert. I am sure it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess,
    I hope everything went great! I like the new look!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete