Thursday, December 10, 2015

Home Improvements

Well, the house has been calling me in the late hours of the evening.
Last night I painted the bulk of the exterior.

There are still a few spots that need some touch up. Also, I don't know how I am going to wash those windows from the inside, those rooms are really deep. 
The chimneys need some attention; many of the bricks have fallen off and the side of this chimney was the worst. I removed the remaining bricks from this section and I'll use them for patches elsewhere. I went to Michaels and picked up some sculpey to make one big patch, but the colors weren't right so I got some help at the local art shop and came back and got to work.
First, I found some furniture pads that were about the same width of the original bricks, and rolled out the sculpey between them so it all came out the same width.


Then I evened up the edges, and added in lines with my high-tech tools a ruler and a butter knife.
Since the bricks are a little uneven on the house, I didn't worry too much about keeping them perfect.
I baked the sculpey, and once it cooled I painted it and I am pretty pleased with it, It's a little darker than the original bricks but way better than the hot pink.
I tried to hot glue the patch into place, but it was just too cold in my basement, so I used some other super stinky adhesive, and then you have to hold it in place with tape.
Now, we wait...
I'm trying not to become obsessed with this project, but it's pretty fun!

1 comment:

Carmen N said...

Oh my. This is the first time I've seen your blog posts about The House, but it looks wonderful! I'm so envious. My daughter just turned 5 ... maybe we'll have to build one next year. (for her of course LOL)