Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Yarn Along

Good Morning!
It's Wednesday, so that means another glimpse of what everyone's knitting and reading.
Head over to Ginny's to see the rest of the participants.I am reading Pride and Prejudice.
A few years ago, I started a tradition of watching the A&E miniseries of Pride and Prejudice while I knit Christmas Stockings, and this year was no exception.
Since I was still in the mood, I decided it would be a good idea to have my annual reading of the book as well.
Even though sometimes I feel a little chided while I read Austen, her books are some of my favorites.

The sweater I am knitting is for the Younger. He asked for a sweater with a dragon on it for Christmas.
I found a great chart in my favorite, super knit-nerdy book Here Be Wyverns, which is a huge collection of charts from medieval to renaissance tapestries, mosaics and embroideries.
I swapped in a different tail from another chart, because the sweater wasn't wide enough to just use the chart as written.
I hope he likes it. Green is his favorite color, and I got some help in planning the colors from my good friends at the Yarnery.
If I hadn't started this sweater on the Sunday before Christmas, I might have changed the chart a little to reflect the fact that knit stitches aren't perfectly square like the chart in the book, but I figure he's going to wear this for a year or so and then grow out of it, so I won't be too picky.

What are you all knitting and reading?

17 comments:

  1. That is so awesome, Jess!!!! Very cool. You are a great mom. He'll love it. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the dragon! it looks great! and that green is just perfect! :)

    thanks for stopping by and reading my yarn-along post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fantastic- I am sure he will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous knitting & i love Jane Austen !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome dragon! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous sweater!

    I'm finishing up a doll for my older daughter, then I want to make myself some arm warmers. They seem like a useless accessory, but I think they'll be very handy for the volunteer dog walking I do down at the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that's an amazing dragon. I can't knit, and hopefully I will have a moment to read after the holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sweater will be the envy of every little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sweater is amazing! And the book of patterns sounds equally enthralling.
    I made my very first pair of slippers and gave them to my daughter - her very first handknits from me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, well if he doesn't like it, then pack it up and send it on over here because I ADORE what you're making. How amazing. I have no ability to knit or use a chart like that so I find it astounding when other people can.

    I love Jane Austen too. Reading her books transports me when I need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - that dragon is beautiful! Makes you wish they would stay little for just a wee bit longer than they do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your dragon sweater is going to be a big hit! I think I will be re-reading Pride and Prejudice....a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such the intarsia wizard! He will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! that is an amazing dragon. i have always been a bit wary of intarsia - but this is impressive and makes me think i will have to try again one day. my son would love something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I just love to watch the Jane Austen films on Masterpiece Theater :) Your sweater is absolutely amazing to!!! I just love it :) Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete