Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kids Camp

I am preparing a fiber arts kid's camp for the Yarnery for next week.

That means that this week I get to try out all of the projects and make sure that I know how to teach them.

The first day we are going to dye yarn with kool-aid, and make needle-tops out of Sculpey.

Then while the yarn hangs to dry we will cover journals with cut-up felted sweaters.


We'll talk a little about how to design, and we will work on translating sketches into art.



Somewhere out there in the internet someone is designing these totally cool plaques to hang on children's bedroom doors.

I borrowed the idea and the kids will all make their own. I think this will be a good project to stretch out through the week. In slow moments the kids can add little embellishments here or there.

This one was made with two rectangles of felt sewn together and embroidered, and the tree and cloud were needle-felted with roving. I need to get some dowels and cut them to size for the top to support a hanger.

I taught this Kids' Class last year also and I had a lot of fun.

I am doing some of the same activities, but I also have some fun new ones. I have a pair of repeat students, so I hope that they won't be too bored...


On a completely unrelated note, there are fresh raspberries at the farmer's market.

I didn't get a chance to take a picture of this when it was whole:

This was my first attempt at a graham cracker crust, and I don't think that I put enough butter in. It didn't hold together very well.

The filling was fat-free yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and corn starch. Then add the fresh whole raspberries from the farmers own hands and you have a terrific, if not totally healthy, dessert.

Have a terrific Wednesday,

Hope it's not too stormy,

Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment