Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yarn Along

When I heard about this I was excited to join in.
I haven't felt too bloggy lately, so it's nice to have a posting goal each week.
The rules of the Yarn Along are simple; take a picture of what you're knitting or crocheting, along with what you're reading, and post the picture on Wednesdays.This week I have been reading The Secret Garden.
Before the Elder and I embark on a new chapter book, I like to pre-read them to make sure the words aren't too difficult, or the concepts too adult.
I am on the fence about The Secret Garden.
There is no doubt about the beauty of this story.
Frances Hodgson Burnett's words are poetry.
Her descriptions of the Yorkshire landscape are enough to make you want to drop everything and live on the moors, and the Magic throughout the story just melts your heart.

The sticky point for me is that I don't know if I am ready for the Elder to read about a little girl who is forgotten during a cholera outbreak where everyone she knows dies.
The book really is a masterpiece, so we might just go ahead and read it.
It'll be a while before we're through the Little House books anyway, and maybe I'll be ready for her to hear about Mary Lennox and Mistlethwaite Manor.
The knitting is a new project for a customer.
She is very interested in the Etruscans.
Look at the postcard in the upper right, it's a detail of a fresco from Tarquinia, and she found that exact picture on a sweater in the book Knitting in Tuscany by Nicky Epstein.
I have a good start on this one, and I hope to finish by the end of the month.
Will you join the Yarn Along too?

9 comments:

  1. Your knitting takes my breath away, just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented! That is a beautiful sweater.
    My children all loved the Secret Garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jess!...i remember reading the secret garden as a child and it was on the top of my favorite list for some years...it was the beauty of the story i loved so much, no the alone and scarier part of the book...i wonder how other children feel about it.

    that sweater...WOW! it looks sososo complicaed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing knitting! The Secret Garden is still one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Secret Garden was my favorite book as a child. I read it in first grade and loved it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I haven't read the Secret Garden since I was young. I loved it so! And really Jess, your knitting is always astounding! Really great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I can't believe what an amazing sweater you are knitting.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I want to knit as good as you when I grow up! How fortunate the receiver of this sweater is! I have never read this book, I might have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks hard! :)
    I am a brand new knitter...just started my first project about 2 weeks ago and had my 2nd "lesson" tonight.

    Warmly,
    Georgiann

    ReplyDelete