Thursday, August 1, 2013

August - The Month of Fewer Boxes

I have resolved to get my family out of the terrible eating habits we regularly fall into during the summer.
It's so easy to say "Well, it's summer, sure have that soda." "Let's get hot dogs for lunch." "Who doesn't like ice cream?"
During our visit to Wisconsin Dells last week, where we literally visited 5 fudge shops, we had so many meals out for burgers and fries, and snacks at the pool, and other non-healthy food, I realized that we had to make a change.

Today begins my resolution to eat out/ take out less, get fewer things in boxes and make more of our food in our own kitchen.

I can see multiple benefits to this plan:
1. The kids can help me with dinner, which they love to do.
2. We can control what we're eating when we see what goes into each meal.
3. August is an historically meager month as far as paychecks go, so we can't really afford to eat out anyway.
4. It will be great to build some routines into our days as school approaches, and making dinner every day will help us do that.

The big question mark is whether I can stick to it.
So, I thought I would use my bloggy here to keep myself in check.

Tonight our dinner was turkey sandwiches with homemade coleslaw and watermelon salad.
The watermelon salad wasn't particularly well-received, by the way, The Younger didn't appreciate salt on his favorite sweet melon, though I thought it was delicious.

Off to peruse my favorite cookbooks, and plan out some meals.


What are your favorite cookbooks?

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's always nice when the taste of fresh, nutritious, home cooked food overcomes the desire/impulse for easy food ... ummm ... easy food. It seems like it shouldn't be such a hard struggle, but pizza is so magnificent ... ;) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I hope it all goes smoothly for you! A couple of my favorite cookbooks are: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook and also Parents Need to Eat, Too (this one does rely on some packaged ingredients to make things quicker, but you can easily get around that; the Herbed Panzanella (Bread Salad) was an instant hit at our house!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO JESSICA!
    I'm catching up on blogs while my tubby roommate is snoring. I love your idea of "less boxes!" Eating right is a big challenge for me too and right now my diet is mainly consisting of BBQ (must find the perfect chip!) and watermelon. One blog I've been liking lately is "Fat Free Vegan" even though I am neither of those things. I get in such a rut with how to prepare the vegs and this blog helps me look at things in a different way. That's all for now... see you at the Salt Mine!!

    ReplyDelete