Sunday, January 5, 2014

A (Day and ) Night at the Opera

The past 24 hours have been operatic in scope and theme.
We began yesterday with a plaintive number from The Elder at breakfast.
Her tears mingling with her pancake syrup we heard the perennial favorite -
"I Don't Need to Go Back to Bed"
I'm not tired, I don't know why I am crying, He's looking at me...

This was closely followed by a rousing duet -
"I Touched it First!"
The tale of a towel nigh rent in twain
By kids folding clothes for mone'try gain.

After a short intermission spent alone in quarters we were favored with the 2-hour Wagnerian ensemble hit -
"But I Hate Doing the Dishes!"
He's sending the dishes back!
It's the job of the dryer to do quality control.
I already washed it!
There's still egg on it.
But I Hate Doing the Dishes!!!

That was the big finish for that particular show. I laughed, I cried, it was a moment to be sure.

Then, in an experimental new theatre project we had a two-fer from The Youngest.

First the one-woman, one-act, one-AM show "Hug" about a plucky toddler who just wants to share her parents' bed.
Highlights included -
"Boo Boo" or Have you seen my bear?
"Clack" or Let's Read a Book, even though it's 2:00AM and there is no light.
and the tearjerker "Muk" let's nurse.
All of which was performed through the bars of her baby jail while the steely-eyed warden looked on.

After an hour intermission where everyone slept we had the big finale of the night -
A tender duet which included a visit from the orajel fairy.

The performances were full of passion, and commitment to the craft. It was a sight to behold.
I will say, that while I have the utmost respect for the performers, and indeed deep love, I have been sated for the time being, and really we don't need another visit to the opera for some time.


Krista said...

Thank goodness it's not just my kids!

Wendy said...

Hilarious!--Well done! The winter months seem to bring out the best in the little performers don't they?!