Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Last Day

First Day-Last Day

Here it is, the last day of school.
My lovely little lady is excited to go to a new school next year, but also sad to leave her friends.
I feel like no amount of reassurance that she'll make new friends next year will comfort her in this first week or so.

When I was young I switched schools many times, and it was hard every time.
There were always extenuating circumstances, but I wish it could have been different.

I carry so much baggage from my childhood relating to school, and I hope that I don't pass that along to them.

I just want them be curious, be creative, make great friends and learn a lot.

I don't think that's too much to ask, and we will be there along the way to help them do all of those things.

For today, I think we'll have to just take our cues from the Elder Hug-a-Bug, and perhaps some feel better cupcakes are in order.

3 comments:

  1. making new friends as a child was hard for me, but i know your little one will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she's a cutie! (Juliet was reading this post with me and admiring her shoes.:) That must've been hard switching schools all the time - I went to the same school from K-12th grade, but I still had some really crappy years, and worry about my kids, too. Bring on the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder was/is really good with Bea so I have no doubt that she will be fine.
    Isn't it interesting to watch our kids grow up? My eldest is so much more outgoing than I ever was.

    ReplyDelete