Monday, May 10, 2010

Kids Clothes Week Challenge

Meg at Elsie Marley is hosting a kids clothing week this week.

The challenge is to take at least one hour each day and try to make something for our kids.
Today I chose to make a shirt for my dear Elder Hug-a-Bug.

I had a couple of t-shirts that got washed with a chap stick, and they all got smudgy oil spots on them.
I cut one of them up using a tank top that fits her well
Then I cut a second one a little wider at the armholes and neck to make a fold-over facing.
Then I sewed the side and shoulder seams on my new (old) sewing machine that sews a zig-zag, and hand sewed them together at the armholes and neck.


Finally, I freehand drew a couple of patterns from this fabric and pulled a little Alabama Chanin by hand sewing around the shapes and cutting out the waste.
I am pretty happy with the results.
I think I could get hooked on this reverse applique thing. It's pretty swell.

8 comments:

  1. very nice jess, i am working on getting some sewing done today als.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is some seriously clever construction! the reverse applique is addictive, but takes forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, Jess. I really like it! I got a sewing machine for my b-day and am attempting to make curtains. Baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, nicely done. I might just steal your idea for Daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! It's fantastic. I have several pit stained tees that I've been wanting to recommission as kids clothes but am too lazy. Making me all the more impressed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! I am impressed that you are so motivated to start and complete these wonderful craft/sewing/cooking projects and I love that you share them with the rest of us.
    Thank you!
    I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done top. Love the layered look. THe skirt is perfect to match it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is pretty darn cool! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete