Friday, September 21, 2012

Flora

This dolly has been a labor of love this past month. I am not a huge fan of tiny needles, quick and dirty is more my style.

I alluded to the hair project in the last couple of Yarn Along posts, and finished it up last night.
Since this doll would be for The Youngest, I didn't want long flowing Waldorf-y hair for her to choke on.
I wanted it to look more like an old-timey china doll with painted on hair.
First, I had planned to knit a wig, and it was mostly finished, but it wasn't really ringin' my bell.
Then it hit me, I could needle felt the hair on.
I had stuffed the doll with some undyed alpaca roving I got at Yarnover a couple of years ago (the alpaca's name is McRaney) and I thought I could use that for hair.
So, I opened her seam, pulled out the roving, re-stuffed her with some other fleece bits I had hanging around, and got to needling.
The color is a little washed out, but it is super soft.
All in all, I'm happy with the results.

So, without further ado, meet Flora.



The Youngest will still have to wait a little while before she spends much quality time with Flora, since I'm pretty sure the hair won't stand up to the level of sucking and gnawing that's going on here, but soon enough I'm sure they'll be the best of friends.

7 comments:

  1. Nice, Jess! I like the subtle eyes and mouth.
    -Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's beautiful! I love the curl of hair at her jaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness. she is lovely. her hair turned out perfect. what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She really turned out so nicely...I'll bet she is the best cuddle buddy! This week I'm sharing a Sunday Sweater test knit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is gorgeous. Lucky little person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful beautiful doll jess, she is just perfect. i love how you made the hair, its so charming.
    i love the wall hanging in the background too, did you make that as well? your home looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete