Sunday, January 5, 2014

A (Day and ) Night at the Opera

The past 24 hours have been operatic in scope and theme.
We began yesterday with a plaintive number from The Elder at breakfast.
Her tears mingling with her pancake syrup we heard the perennial favorite -
"I Don't Need to Go Back to Bed"
I'm not tired, I don't know why I am crying, He's looking at me...

This was closely followed by a rousing duet -
"I Touched it First!"
The tale of a towel nigh rent in twain
By kids folding clothes for mone'try gain.

After a short intermission spent alone in quarters we were favored with the 2-hour Wagnerian ensemble hit -
"But I Hate Doing the Dishes!"
He's sending the dishes back!
It's the job of the dryer to do quality control.
I already washed it!
There's still egg on it.
But I Hate Doing the Dishes!!!

That was the big finish for that particular show. I laughed, I cried, it was a moment to be sure.

Then, in an experimental new theatre project we had a two-fer from The Youngest.

First the one-woman, one-act, one-AM show "Hug" about a plucky toddler who just wants to share her parents' bed.
Highlights included -
"Boo Boo" or Have you seen my bear?
"Clack" or Let's Read a Book, even though it's 2:00AM and there is no light.
and the tearjerker "Muk" let's nurse.
All of which was performed through the bars of her baby jail while the steely-eyed warden looked on.

After an hour intermission where everyone slept we had the big finale of the night -
"TEEEEETH!!!!!
A tender duet which included a visit from the orajel fairy.

The performances were full of passion, and commitment to the craft. It was a sight to behold.
I will say, that while I have the utmost respect for the performers, and indeed deep love, I have been sated for the time being, and really we don't need another visit to the opera for some time.





2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness it's not just my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!--Well done! The winter months seem to bring out the best in the little performers don't they?!

    ReplyDelete