Saturday, May 24, 2008

Softies for Mirabel

I heard about Softies for Mirabel by reading someone else's blog, and I don't remember who.
It is a marvellous thing.
Crafty folks from all over the world send in soft toys and they are displayed in a storefront window in Australia for a couple of months then they are all auctioned off and the proceeds go to the Mirabel Foundation.

Here is a quote from their website

"The Mirabel Foundation was established in 1998 to assist children who have been orphaned or abandoned due to parental illicit drug use and are now in the care of extended family (kinship care). Mirabel believes that every child deserves a childhood and its mission is to break the destructive cycle of addiction.


Mirabel is the only organisation in Australia specifically addressing the needs of this vulnerable group of children, the most profoundly overlooked casualties of substance abuse in our society. Mirabel supports children aged 0-17 years and works at restoring a child’s sense of self-worth, belonging and hope for the future in order for them to reach their full potential as young adults. Mirabel believes that investing in children is the most compassionate and economic investment we can make. Whether it is done financially, emotionally, or by lessening the stigma and feelings of isolation, both the community and these children will reap the rewards."

Such a great cause.

I am donating some Star Babies to the fundraiser.

I took inspiration from the Simple Organic Baby Doll pattern from Nature Babies.


I changed the shape slightly and instead of using organic cotton fabric for the head, I recycled loner baby socks.

I also made some smaller stars based on the same idea.

I will come clean and say that I had these laying around already.

In the last 2 years, and this is not an exaggeration, I have had about 15-20 pregnant friends. I guess that's what happens when you've kept in touch with 4 different ECFE classes-worth of child-bearing aged women.

I had this great idea that I would put a bunch of these Star Babies together and give them all to my friends when they had their babies.

Unfortunately, I am not as on the ball as I had hoped to be, and most of the babies got a big smile and hug instead.

I did get a few done anyway, and they have been packed away for a special event.

I think this is the place that they need to go...

Have a memorable Memorial Weekend,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment