Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Yarn Along

Yarn Along time, Yay! This Saturday I will be subbing in, singing at a local church and the choir director let us know that we could wear black with a festive sweater if we had one. I realized that I had only a little work to do on this sweater (that I started on July 26th, if the Ravelry page is to be believed) and what's more festive than a bunch of red cables?
I had work knitting to do in the mean-time so it's been neglected in a bag waiting for its turn.
I brought it along to early Christmas with the in laws and was able to finish up a sleeve and start assembly this weekend.
All that remains is the last third or so of the collar, and I think I can finish that waiting in the carpool line this week.
I'll be excited to wear it at last!
The book is Rilla of Ingleside, the 8th and final installment of the Anne of Green Gables series.
I don't know what number of times I have read this particular of L.M. Montgomery's books, but it's more than a couple.
It's a fascinating look at the day-to-day lives of a Canadian family during World War I.
The domestic details are what I find most interesting. There are descriptions of hand-sewing hems on sheets, and knitting socks for the boys at the front, along with organizing Red Cross groups and raising money for the war effort.
I just can't get enough of L.M.'s first-hand look at this troubled time.

What's on your needles this week?

18 comments:

  1. ooooh that looks so cozy Jess! I just ordered some yarn to make myself a cardigan in the new year. Now I have to choose a pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am always so impressed with the cable knitting. that red is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that red, and the sweater is beautiful. Red is one of my favorite colors. Maybe I'll make something for myself next year.
    Stopping in from Ginny's. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cardigan, love the rich red. And reading this, I feel like watching Anne of Green Gables again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really love your sweater. It looks just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing a picture of you wearing it! Can't wait!
    Ps. Do you have very much snow there yet? We are supposed to get some Christmas Eve...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sweater is beautiful! I have high hopes that someday I will be able to knit myself a sweater...although it might take several years to finish it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you last night and to see the sweater in person- festive, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cables and so much work. Glad that you're just about done. Such a pretty pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That sweater is gorgeous! Love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cables look so intimidating and yours came out splendidly : ) Good timing with finishing it in time for Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome!
    I love the colour and the texture and it's so appropriate for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very festive!

    Have fun singing this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very festive!

    Have fun singing this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness how beautiful this is, i love the red and the cables, i can't wait to see it on!
    merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurray for Anne! I've always enjoyed Rilla of Ingleside for the very same reason, those details of war-time life and the fact that it bridges the series across the 19th and 20th centuries. Your sweater is gorgeous, BTW. I hope my knitting reaches that level someday!
    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism

    ReplyDelete