Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Good Loaf

I don't know if it's the rainy weather we've been having, or the feeling that with the end of Summer and the coming of school, Fall is near, but I am in the midst of 14 hours of bread-baking frenzy.
Last night at 8:30 (why? I don't know) I made up a loaf of wheat bread from the recipe on the back of the King Arthur Flour bag, as well as throwing together the ingredients for no-knead bread.

I didn't end up baking the wheat long enough (who'd a thunk that at 10:45 PM I wouldn't have the best judgment about baking times) and I had a big dead spot in the center of the loaf.

Well, if life gives you underdone bread, make croutons.

Long, long ago I was a bread baker at Cafe Latte and we would use the day-old bread to make croutons for the salads and soups.
I tried to remember the recipe, here's what I could come up with after 9 years-

I sliced the bread, sprinkled a little olive oil, added a little kosher salt, onion powder and oregano and baked them in a low oven, 250 degrees or so, for about 20 minutes.

Since the bread was fresh it took a little longer to dry out fully, but I think these will be quite tasty on a salad for dinner tonight.

The no-knead just came out of the oven and it is questionable whether this will make it to dinner tonight.

2 comments:

  1. My husband has been baking a lot, too. Must be the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm.... My mother used to bake all our bread and my father has always made our croutons. Me - I haven't gone beyond the occasional quick bread. Someday.... as there's nothing better than fresh from the oven.

    ReplyDelete