Saturday, April 26, 2008

Things I've Learned Today

I have had a productive and instructive day.

I went to the Craftstravaganza this morning.

The first thing that I learned today is that the Fine Arts Building in the State Fairgrounds has little or no heat.

On a normal visit to the Fine Arts Building that would not be an issue as it would be late August during the State Fair.

Today, however, the snow was snowing and the wind was blowing.

Our low temperature today was 30 degrees.

The vendors had on their winter coats and hats.

I was at Craftstravaganza to teach some free knitting classes.

I wore my fingerless mittens and a neck-warmer.

Despite the cold, I had a great time and I even got to teach 6 Girl Scouts who were out on a group outing to see the crafts.

Then I came home and I spent some quality time with the Hug-a-Bugs and cut out some patterns, at which time I learned my second lesson of the day.

31 is not 21.

I can't spend hours on the floor cutting out patterns to sew without really feeling it in my back.

Wow. I feel old.

The rest of the lessons of the day were much more fun.

I learned that there is enough paint in those Ralph Lauren paint swatch pouches to cover a radiator seat, with 2 coats.


I learned that my pin-cushion, which is about 50 years old, was ready for retirement.

So I pulled out my Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts book and whipped up a new one.

Here it is before I fully loaded it up with pins.

I also learned that I really missed sewing.

I have been without a sewing space during the craft room redo, and as a result I haven't done any sewing for 2 or 3 weeks.

Tonight, I made my Younger Hug-a-Bug some shorts.

I bought the fabric at Crafty Planet, which is the second best fabric store in the Twin Cities.

As you well know, nothing can replace Treadle Yard Goods in my esteem, but Crafty Planet does have a superior selection of Japanese printed fabric.

Now we just have to wait until the snow all melts and we get some sun and warm.

I am getting sleepy,

Have a good night,

Jess.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! You DID have a productive day! Congrats on all the FOs and if you think 31 feels old, wait a coupla decades, sweetie! Next time you're over at CP give a call; I'm in nordeast and can be there in seconds! (I'm so glad they moved from the stinky place on Lowry Av. to Johnson St.) Your blog is lovely, BTW!

    ReplyDelete