Friday, October 3, 2008

Tree Period

When you take an art history class you often find that artists go through periods where everything is a variation on a theme.

I am definitely in my Tree Period.

Last year I began a mural on the wall in my children's room, which is still in progress, ahem, of a tree in the spring.


When I was in Germany, I became somewhat the butt of jokes for taking so many pictures of trees.
This one is a metal-plated fallen tree in the Insel Hombroich in Neuss, where we spent an afternoon.O.k. I obviously didn't take this one, since that is me there, but you get the idea.


This is only a sampling, I took a bunch more, and I may indeed have a problem.
I even had my friend Sofie pose on this stump.


Can you imagine how big this tree must have been?


When I taught my children using fiber class at the Yarnery we made needle felted pictures and here is my sample.


My new project is this:
I have wanted to do a collage-feel tree quilt for a while.
When I came across green scraps of fabric I set them aside and the other night I cut out a bunch of leaves.
Here it is all laid out, but I think I've made an error, because now I don't quite know how to attach them.
I probably should have ironed stitch witchery on the fabric before I cut out anything, but I just wanted to get going, famous last words...
I was going for an ordered chaos feel in the leaf placement and I hope that I can replicate when I finally attach them.

On another note, I have finished the scarf I was making out of the 13 Mile Organic Wool.
It is blocking right now, and I am excited to take it out for a test drive.


Have a terrific Friday!
Jess.

1 comment:

  1. To be fair, the tree pictures are lovely. I think they should only comment if you took too many lousy tree pictures. :) Love the scarf.

    ReplyDelete